Topics

Throw over clutch starting to fail on new Gen 4 ALREADY

John Miller

With 70 hours on my replacement 2200 Gen 4 I can already hear the starter throw-over clutch starting to fail.

Fortunately I kept the Honda clutch I had put on my failed engine. So I have a replacement.

It still engages, but makes a clanking sound as it tries to engage the flywheel.

I will keep using it till it gets a bit worse and then will ask for a replacement from Jabiru to test my luck on that.

I keep the Honda clutch as a final replacement, but may as well use Jab clutches as long as possible.

I will report when it finally fails completely.

John M

bob noffs

john,
 i think you hold earth's record for airplane engine related problems/failures.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 8:56 AM John Miller via groups.io <skypics234=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
With 70 hours on my replacement 2200 Gen 4 I can already hear the starter throw-over clutch starting to fail.

Fortunately I kept the Honda clutch I had put on my failed engine. So I have a replacement.

It still engages, but makes a clanking sound as it tries to engage the flywheel.

I will keep using it till it gets a bit worse and then will ask for a replacement from Jabiru to test my luck on that.

I keep the Honda clutch as a final replacement, but may as well use Jab clutches as long as possible.

John M

Pete Twissell

John,
I have some experience with starter gears. If you are to continue using the noisy starter assembly, I suggest you keep a close eye on the condition of the teeth on the flywheel. A poorly engaging gear can quickly damage those teeth.

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021, 14:56 John Miller via groups.io, <skypics234=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

John M

Jay Scheevel

Hi John,

I would do a careful inspection of the flywheel teeth and do the replacement sooner rather than later to avoid damaging the teeth.

Jay

From: main@JabCamit.groups.io <main@JabCamit.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Miller via groups.io
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2021 7:56 AM
To: main@JabCamit.groups.io
Subject: [JabCamit] Throw over clutch starting to fail on new Gen 4 ALREADY

John M

John Miller

Not proud of that record.

John M

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 3/12/21 8:51 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: main@jabcamit.groups.io
Subject: Re: [JabCamit] Throw over clutch starting to fail on new Gen 4 ALREADY

john,
 i think you hold earth's record for airplane engine related problems/failures.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 8:56 AM John Miller via groups.io <skypics234=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

John M

John Miller

If I get another event I'll just drop in the Honda part.

John M

Date: 3/12/21 9:08 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: main@jabcamit.groups.io

John,
I have some experience with starter gears. If you are to continue using the noisy starter assembly, I suggest you keep a close eye on the condition of the teeth on the flywheel. A poorly engaging gear can quickly damage those teeth.

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021, 14:56 John Miller via groups.io, <skypics234=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

John M

John Miller

Good suggestion. 

Done.

John M

Date: 3/12/21 9:21 AM (GMT-08:00)

Hi John,

I would do a careful inspection of the flywheel teeth and do the replacement sooner rather than later to avoid damaging the teeth.

Jay

From: main@JabCamit.groups.io <main@JabCamit.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Miller via groups.io
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2021 7:56 AM
Subject: [JabCamit] Throw over clutch starting to fail on new Gen 4 ALREADY

John M

Raymond Henrie

It would be useful to know the part# of that Honda starter clutch in case any others need it.

John Miller

This is a photo of the standard Jabiru supplied throw over clutch and the one from Honda. I'm looking for the part number of the Honda clutch.

You will notice that the Honda clutch, on the left, has a larger mass and wider gears.

See attachment

John M

Mike Williamson

The Honda bendix is for a GX 340, if you search ebay for the starter you will find the complete unit for approx £20, the bendix is easy to remove, mine has been in operation for 2 years now with no problems.

Mike

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2021 2:13 PM

It would be useful to know the part# of that Honda starter clutch in case any others need it.

John Miller

The Honda part number i have is 31207-Ze3-003

I have posted a comparison photo showing Jabiru vs Honda clutch.

John M

Date: 3/13/21 7:51 AM (GMT-08:00)

The Honda bendix is for a GX 340, if you search ebay for the starter you will find the complete unit for approx £20, the bendix is easy to remove, mine has been in operation for 2 years now with no problems.

Mike
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2021 2:13 PM

Raymond Henrie

THANKS!

Mick O'Connor

Mike,
Correct me if Im wrong but the complete starter for £20 is not genuine Honda ? Cheapest genuine Honda part is over£200
Mick

On 14 Mar 2021, at 13:58, Raymond Henrie via groups.io <original_dr_doright@...> wrote:

Mike Williamson

Yes, it's not a genuine Honda part. I had trouble tracking down a genuine part so ordered the one off Ebay and installed 2 years ago, been working absolutely fine.

Before installing I did a comparitive, side by side check and in fact the ebay one had a better manufacturing finish than the orginal.

Mike

Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2021 5:29 PM

Mike,
Correct me if Im wrong but the complete starter for £20 is not genuine Honda ? Cheapest genuine Honda part is over£200
Mick

On 14 Mar 2021, at 13:58, Raymond Henrie via groups.io <original_dr_doright@...> wrote:

THANKS!

John Miller

Jabiru is sending me a new throw-over clutch.

Nick says he thinks the replacement will be a Honda brand.

However, I just installed a Honda clutch and it works just fine.

John M

jabcamit@...

Might have been better if they had just built and sent to you a JabCamit engine ;-)

John Austin

A few years ago, after 2 failed Jab clutches, Ian Bent at CAMit sold me a genuine Honda clutch (Honda Marine Bendix Clutch # 31207-ZE3-003) for my 3300.  Shipped from Australia, it was no more expensive than the "pattern part" Jabiru clutch from Jab USA. Even from 10 feet away, one could easily discern which clutch was the Honda part - Edges of the weight were beveled and more smoothly machined and there were additional washers or bushes the Jab part didn't have.  Fit perfectly and have had no problems ever since!

John
N750A