Topics

Throw over clutch starting to fail on new Gen 4 ALREADY

John Miller

With 70 hours on my replacement 2200 Gen 4 I can already hear the starter throw-over clutch starting to fail.

Fortunately I kept the Honda clutch I had put on my failed engine. So I have a replacement.

It still engages, but makes a clanking sound as it tries to engage the flywheel.

I will keep using it till it gets a bit worse and then will ask for a replacement from Jabiru to test my luck on that.

I keep the Honda clutch as a final replacement, but may as well use Jab clutches as long as possible.

I will report when it finally fails completely.

John M

bob noffs

john,
 i think you hold earth's record for airplane engine related problems/failures.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 8:56 AM John Miller via groups.io <skypics234=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
With 70 hours on my replacement 2200 Gen 4 I can already hear the starter throw-over clutch starting to fail.

Fortunately I kept the Honda clutch I had put on my failed engine. So I have a replacement.

It still engages, but makes a clanking sound as it tries to engage the flywheel.

I will keep using it till it gets a bit worse and then will ask for a replacement from Jabiru to test my luck on that.

I keep the Honda clutch as a final replacement, but may as well use Jab clutches as long as possible.

I will report when it finally fails completely.

John M

Pete Twissell

John,
I have some experience with starter gears. If you are to continue using the noisy starter assembly, I suggest you keep a close eye on the condition of the teeth on the flywheel. A poorly engaging gear can quickly damage those teeth.

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021, 14:56 John Miller via groups.io, <skypics234=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
With 70 hours on my replacement 2200 Gen 4 I can already hear the starter throw-over clutch starting to fail.

Fortunately I kept the Honda clutch I had put on my failed engine. So I have a replacement.

It still engages, but makes a clanking sound as it tries to engage the flywheel.

I will keep using it till it gets a bit worse and then will ask for a replacement from Jabiru to test my luck on that.

I keep the Honda clutch as a final replacement, but may as well use Jab clutches as long as possible.

I will report when it finally fails completely.

John M

Jay Scheevel

Hi John,

I would do a careful inspection of the flywheel teeth and do the replacement sooner rather than later to avoid damaging the teeth.

Jay

With 70 hours on my replacement 2200 Gen 4 I can already hear the starter throw-over clutch starting to fail.

Fortunately I kept the Honda clutch I had put on my failed engine. So I have a replacement.

It still engages, but makes a clanking sound as it tries to engage the flywheel.

I will keep using it till it gets a bit worse and then will ask for a replacement from Jabiru to test my luck on that.

I keep the Honda clutch as a final replacement, but may as well use Jab clutches as long as possible.

I will report when it finally fails completely.

John M

John Miller

Not proud of that record.

John M

 i think you hold earth's record for airplane engine related problems/failures.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 8:56 AM John Miller via groups.io <skypics234=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
With 70 hours on my replacement 2200 Gen 4 I can already hear the starter throw-over clutch starting to fail.

Fortunately I kept the Honda clutch I had put on my failed engine. So I have a replacement.

It still engages, but makes a clanking sound as it tries to engage the flywheel.

I will keep using it till it gets a bit worse and then will ask for a replacement from Jabiru to test my luck on that.

I keep the Honda clutch as a final replacement, but may as well use Jab clutches as long as possible.

I will report when it finally fails completely.

John M

John Miller

If I get another event I'll just drop in the Honda part.

John M

[...]

Good suggestion.

Done.

John M

I would do a careful inspection of the flywheel teeth and do the replacement sooner rather than later to avoid damaging the teeth.

Jay

With 70 hours on my replacement 2200 Gen 4 I can already hear the starter throw-over clutch starting to fail.

Fortunately I kept the Honda clutch I had put on my failed engine. So I have a replacement.

It still engages, but makes a clanking sound as it tries to engage the flywheel.

I will keep using it till it gets a bit worse and then will ask for a replacement from Jabiru to test my luck on that.

I keep the Honda clutch as a final replacement, but may as well use Jab clutches as long as possible.

I will report when it finally fails completely.

John M

Raymond Henrie

It would be useful to know the part# of that Honda starter clutch in case any others need it.

John Miller

This is a photo of the standard Jabiru supplied throw over clutch and the one from Honda. I'm looking for the part number of the Honda clutch.

You will notice that the Honda clutch, on the left, has a larger mass and wider gears.

See attachment

John M

Mike Williamson

The Honda bendix is for a GX 340, if you search ebay for the starter you will find the complete unit for approx £20, the bendix is easy to remove, mine has been in operation for 2 years now with no problems.

Mike

It would be useful to know the part# of that Honda starter clutch in case any others need it.

John Miller

The Honda part number i have is 31207-Ze3-003

I have posted a comparison photo showing Jabiru vs Honda clutch.

John M