Supercharged Gen 4 Jabiru 3300

Marc Halcomb

16 months ago I posted, looking for information related to supercharged/turbocharged Jabiru’s.  Since that time I have developed a mount/drive assembly for a Rotrex C15-60 supercharger and electrically controlled blow-off-valve.  After 10 hours testing a Gen2 on a test stand, I have install the system in my Gen 4 equipped Arion Lightning.  I have completed the first 2 test flights and with very modest boost levels the cruise performance has increased nicely.  The initial test flights were conducted at 10,000’ DA and 30.5 inHg resulting in a 27.5mph increase (20% increase).  The next series of flight tests will be conducted at 32 inHg, then 33 inHg, ... with a practical target of 34 inHg max cruise.  If anyone is interested I’ll post more test flight results?

Jay Scheevel

Sounds very interesting, Marc. Please keep us posted on both your installation and your results.

Jay

From: main@JabCamit.groups.io <main@JabCamit.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marc Halcomb
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2021 8:39 AM
To: main@JabCamit.groups.io
Subject: [JabCamit] Supercharged Gen 4 Jabiru 3300

16 months ago I posted, looking for information related to supercharged/turbocharged Jabiru’s.  Since that time I have developed a mount/drive assembly for a Rotrex C15-60 supercharger and electrically controlled blow-off-valve.  After 10 hours testing a Gen2 on a test stand, I have install the system in my Gen 4 equipped Arion Lightning.  I have completed the first 2 test flights and with very modest boost levels the cruise performance has increased nicely.  The initial test flights were conducted at 10,000’ DA and 30.5 inHg resulting in a 27.5mph increase (20% increase).  The next series of flight tests will be conducted at 32 inHg, then 33 inHg, ... with a practical target of 34 inHg max cruise.  If anyone is interested I’ll post more test flight results?

Easy rider

Keep up the good work Marc. I enjoy reading your updates

On Apr 23, 2021, at 9:50 AM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Sounds very interesting, Marc. Please keep us posted on both your installation and your results.

Jay

From: main@JabCamit.groups.io <main@JabCamit.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marc Halcomb

Pete Twissell

Very interesting Marc.
Are the pressure figures you mention absolute manifold pressure?

Pete.

On Fri, 23 Apr 2021, 15:59 Easy rider via groups.io, <craigepowell=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Keep up the good work Marc. I enjoy reading your updates

On Apr 23, 2021, at 9:50 AM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Jay

16 months ago I posted, looking for information related to supercharged/turbocharged Jabiru’s.  Since that time I have developed a mount/drive assembly for a Rotrex C15-60 supercharger and electrically controlled blow-off-valve.  After 10 hours testing a Gen2 on a test stand, I have install the system in my Gen 4 equipped Arion Lightning.  I have completed the first 2 test flights and with very modest boost levels the cruise performance has increased nicely.  The initial test flights were conducted at 10,000’ DA and 30.5 inHg resulting in a 27.5mph increase (20% increase).  The next series of flight tests will be conducted at 32 inHg, then 33 inHg, ... with a practical target of 34 inHg max cruise.  If anyone is interested I’ll post more test flight results?

Marc Halcomb

Yes, all the pressures are manifold absolute pressure “MAP”.  I have both the boost pressure and manifold pressure tied into my GRT EIS/EFIS.  The boost pressure is computer controlled via the Blow-Off-Valve. BOV, and the pilot controls the manifold pressure with the throttle (as expected).  I’ll post some performance tables after the next test flights.  I have made some changes to the mount/drive assembly to improve the ease of assembly of the mount/drive, so it may be a few weeks before the next test flights.

Marc Halcomb

Links to some pictures taken during the installation and testing.

Jay Scheevel

The Marc,
Really like the installation! What carb are you using?

Jay 

On Apr 23, 2021, at 6:30 PM, Marc Halcomb <marchalcomb@...> wrote:

<24DFE9EF-C26A-4CFD-8000-22FA95BCAAB1.jpeg>
<E5FEC60E-1278-4F6C-891E-ABC8585F5E48.jpeg>

Ron Milan

Marc:  That looks like it ought to get-er done!  Nice packaging job.  What did you use for carburetion?

Ron M

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri, Apr 23, 2021 8:29 pm
Subject: Re: [JabCamit] Supercharged Gen 4 Jabiru 3300

Marc Halcomb

On the test stand engine, I ran the standard Bing.  With a modified fuel system: fauct 10psi fuel pump and a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator to provide the Bing with 3.5psi + boost pressure to keep the float happy.  With this setup I could run up to 38 inHg (MAP) or ~145HP.  This was the max I could get.

For my Gen4 I am using the Rotec 40mm TBI.  Initial flight tests have been with a modest boost levels (basically “normalized”), I am now modifying my aircraft fuel system to provide 10psi to the TBI’s fuel pressure regulator..