Rocker oil feed

Mick O'Connor

Anyone know how the rocker oil feed works (external type) ?
Pressure of the feed to rockers ?
Is it same as gallery pressure ?
Does the oil drip in the rocker chamber or spray ?
Mick

wmax351@...

It depends on the generation and configuration. There is a guy in France who did some modifications to improve this as well, increasing the oil feed to the exhaust valve, and replacing the inlet valve guide to eliminate the oil hole that contributes to intake valve fouling.

Mick O'Connor

Surely all external feed types are the same, the only different type is the later hollow pushrods. Or have I missed something ?
Mick

On 21 Apr 2021, at 19:51, wmax351@... wrote:

It depends on the generation and configuration. There is a guy in France who did some modifications to improve this as well, increasing the oil feed to the exhaust valve, and replacing the inlet valve guide to eliminate the oil hole that contributes to intake valve fouling.

David Amsler

The flow is restricted by the size of the plugs at the infeed ends of the feed tubes that fit into the holes in the block.  This was thought to be much less apt clog than a simple round hole.  The low flow then dribbles down onto the valves and rockers.

David A.

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 2:27 PM Mick O'Connor via groups.io <mickoconnor909=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Anyone know how the rocker oil feed works (external type) ?
Pressure of the feed to rockers ?
Is it same as gallery pressure ?
Does the oil drip in the rocker chamber or spray ?
Mick

Mark Whiddon

This is correct on external oil fed solid lifter versions of the 3300 (my only experience). My number one rocker was showing signs of dryness so I pulled the oil feed tube and took .002" off the diameter of the plug with wet/dry sand paper. I also put a toca oil thermostat under the oil filter. and blocked off the whole face of the sump with silicone. My oil temp has gone up (think thinner) and between that and the more flow in the tube I seem to be getting better oil distribution to the rockers
Mark W

David Amsler

Mark,  I saw similar effect on my 3300 which was one of the last before the hollow push rod feed, and being mounted in a tail dragger, when on ground oil to # 1 and 2 would have to flow uphill from the tees so made a partial plug for the cylinder nipple from the down hill pointing halves of the tees between 1 and 3 and between 2 and 4 that caused some oil to reach the first two cylinders, the middle cylinders are feed from both tees so no danger of starving those two cylinders.    seemed to work, so re-used those plugs when switching to the CAMit engine.  A sketch and photo of plugs is attached.