Topics

Prop size and blade count survey

John Miller

I run a 66" Whirlwind 2 blade prop that was suggested by Pete when he ran Jab in the states. I had been offered a 3 blade Warp drive prop from a friend who was upgrading his Rotax powered Kitfox.

Pete warned that this would have too much polar inertia.

I would like to know what props those on the forum are using on their Jab 2200s.

Thanks.

John M

Jim Chuk

I've run a 64" two blade Warp Drive square tip prop for 300-400 hrs.  It does pretty good.  I did try a 66" taper tip Warp for a while, and it did fly faster, but climb suffered somewhat.  They were both pitched for the same static rpm.  JImChuk

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 8:49 AM John Miller via groups.io <skypics234=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I run a 66" Whirlwind 2 blade prop that was suggested by Pete when he ran Jab in the states. I had been offered a 3 blade Warp drive prop from a friend who was upgrading his Rotax powered Kitfox.

I would like to know what props those on the forum are using on their Jab 2200s.

Thanks.

John M

Leo Dringoli

John ,

I run a two blade wood 56" dia. 48" pitch from Props Inc. on a Corby starlet .  2850 static RPM , 3200 RPM level flight full throttle 134 KTS indicated .

Leo Dringoli

On 4/7/2021 10:29 AM, Jim Chuk wrote:
I've run a 64" two blade Warp Drive square tip prop for 300-400 hrs.  It does pretty good.  I did try a 66" taper tip Warp for a while, and it did fly faster, but climb suffered somewhat.  They were both pitched for the same static rpm.  JImChuk

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 8:49 AM John Miller via groups.io <skypics234=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks.

John M

Jay Scheevel

Hi Leo,

If you have a 48” pitch prop and turn it 3200 rpm, and it is 100% efficient, you would see 126 kts.  I suspect the pitch you have is higher than 48”.

Jay

From: main@JabCamit.groups.io <main@JabCamit.groups.io> On Behalf Of Leo Dringoli
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2021 9:39 AM
To: main@JabCamit.groups.io
Subject: Re: [JabCamit] Prop size and blade count survey

John ,

I run a two blade wood 56" dia. 48" pitch from Props Inc. on a Corby starlet .  2850 static RPM , 3200 RPM level flight full throttle 134 KTS indicated .

Leo Dringoli

On 4/7/2021 10:29 AM, Jim Chuk wrote:

Thanks.

John M

Greg Smith

Prince two blade prop. Very smooth and quiet.

Greg
Pulsar Jab 2200

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wed, Apr 7, 2021 8:49 am
Subject: [JabCamit] Prop size and blade count survey

Thanks.

John M

randy beachler

I have the Sensenich 62 in wood that Pete reccomended. 800 hours. Bow do you like the WW ?

-------- Original message --------
Date: 4/7/21 9:49 AM (GMT-05:00)

Thanks.

John M

randy beachler

How.

From: "randy beachler via groups.io" <cycleflyer2004@...>
Date: 4/7/21 3:11 PM (GMT-05:00)

I have the Sensenich 62 in wood that Pete reccomended. 800 hours. Bow do you like the WW ?

Thanks.

John M

randy beachler

I did not see a ww prop listed for the 2200 jabiru on their website. Only the 3300. Do they have one?

Thanks.

John M

John Miller

The do have one and it's a scimitar shaped 66" 2 blade and very smooth and quiet.

By the way I just installed Stol Speed VGs on my Avid MK4 and...OH MY GOD! What a difference.

Stall speeds at idle cruise and full power climb are 15% lower.

John M

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Date: 4/7/21 2:26 PM (GMT-08:00)

I did not see a ww prop listed for the 2200 jabiru on their website. Only the 3300. Do they have one?

Thanks.

John M

Lyle Passfield

John I have a standard Jab 60X42 hoop pine laminated prop on my Jodel.
Quite happy with it after a dozen years in service.

I recently did a silly thing and it was dead easy to repair the prop and re-balance it using rudimentary tools. It’s still tracks within a mm and is now running smoother than ever.

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 at 23:49, John Miller via groups.io <skypics234=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks.

John M

John Miller

Like the WW. Nice look with the scimitar shape.

I think i paid $1400.

Black with white tips.

John M

Date: 4/7/21 12:11 PM (GMT-08:00)

Thanks.

John M

John Miller

Jim

I like the WARP but is a heavy prop.

That said ground adjustment is easier than the WW.

John M

Date: 4/7/21 7:30 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: main@jabcamit.groups.io

Thanks.

John M

Mark Dunstone

Cygnet...90kt cruise, empty weight 250kg.   I run a 60”x44” Sensenich wood prop that Jabiru call their climb prop. 3150rpm for 65kt climb and 800fpm, 3100rpm cruise at 90kts...15lph fuel burn.

Corby Starlet.  I run a 60”x47” wood prop (eucalyptus delegetensis) I made myself.  Climb at 3000rpm 1500 to 2000fpm 65 to 75kts, cruise at 3200 at 108kts, exceeds 3300 at straight and level.....yeh, I know, I need at least another inch of pitch....but geez it’s fun flying, even with the odd over rpm warning light coming on every now and then.

Robert Vossman

I'll throw in my Sonex experience.  I use a Tennessee Prop 54 X 46 and at WOT gives 3300 rpm and about 135 mph.  Still going strong at 500 hours.
BobV

John Miller

So far seem like my WW is the longest.

John M

Date: 4/7/21 5:44 PM (GMT-08:00)

I'll throw in my Sonex experience.  I use a Tennessee Prop 54 X 46 and at WOT gives 3300 rpm and about 135 mph.  Still going strong at 500 hours.
BobV

Jim Chuk

There is a guy I know who has a 68" NR prop on his 2200 Jabiru powered Kitfox 1, and gets real good performance from it.  JImChuk

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 10:06 PM John Miller via groups.io <skypics234=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
So far seem like my WW is the longest.

John M

Date: 4/7/21 5:44 PM (GMT-08:00)

BobV

John Miller

Jim

My Avid is not a Speed Queen, but climbs at 1200 FPM out of my 533 MSL field.

When I fly out of Big Bear 6700 MSL I have to lean it out and I get 500-800 FPM solo lightly loaded.

I currently have the WW prop set to what seems to be the best combination of cruise climb. If I set it to pure climb pitch I get 1500 FPM, but cruse drops from 100 MPH to 90 MPH.

I was going to set it to climb just before the Idaho back country trip, but now, since I installed the Stol Speed VGs I won't need to do that.

John M

Mark Johnston

My Avid Mk IV came with a Catto 60x36, it was marginal on my short strip (1000' with trees @ 1400 msl). I purchased a 62x32 carbon fiber P tip from Lonnie Prince, better on the low end now, 1000 fpm.

Brinykraut

I'm running a 62x40 Sensenich wooden prop on my 'C' model Avid flyer.

It climbs very well even two up, cruises at 85-90 mph flat out.
I doubt it would gain much speed no matter the prop, so this seems a
pretty good 2200 prop for this airframe.

Garnet

On Wednesday, April 7, 2021, 06:49:02 AM PDT, John Miller via groups.io <skypics234@...> wrote:

Thanks.

John M

Mick O'Connor

Garnet,
I’m confused, you say you cruise flat out, does that mean you cruise at wide open throttle ?
What climb rate do you see two up ?

Mick

On 9 Apr 2021, at 04:35, Brinykraut via groups.io <herthassohn@...> wrote:

I'm running a 62x40 Sensenich wooden prop on my 'C' model Avid flyer.

It climbs very well even two up, cruises at 85-90 mph flat out.
I doubt it would gain much speed no matter the prop, so this seems a
pretty good 2200 prop for this airframe.

Garnet

On Wednesday, April 7, 2021, 06:49:02 AM PDT, John Miller via groups.io <skypics234@...> wrote:

Thanks.

John M