Old Yahoo Archive

wmax351@...

Did anyone archive the old yahoo group? Hopefully that wasn't all lost.

Rob Turk

I have a copy. Unless it's from before 2004...

On 4/29/2021 2:56 PM, wmax351@... wrote:

Pete Twissell

All the content of the old Yahoo site should have been transferred to the new group.
I am the owner of a couple of groups which were transferred from Yahoo to Groups.io and both preserved all the data from Yahoo.

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021, 13:56 , <wmax351@...> wrote:

wmax351@...

There's nothing here from before 2015 unfortunately. 

@Rob, could you post that to the "files" section?

Jay Scheevel

The files all got over, but not all the photos. Don’t know why that is.

Jay

From: main@JabCamit.groups.io <main@JabCamit.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pete Twissell
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2021 7:21 AM
To: main@jabcamit.groups.io
Subject: Re: [JabCamit] Old Yahoo Archive

All the content of the old Yahoo site should have been transferred to the new group.

I am the owner of a couple of groups which were transferred from Yahoo to Groups.io and both preserved all the data from Yahoo.

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021, 13:56 , <wmax351@...> wrote:

Rob Turk

The format is one Thunderbird .msf file for each year, is that usable for you? Total dataset is close to 2GB, too large for the files section.

On 4/29/2021 4:29 PM, wmax351@... wrote:

Jay Scheevel

Go ahead and give it a try Rob. We will see what happens. I am paying the tab, so I guess they will just tell me to pony up if it is too big.

Jay

From: main@JabCamit.groups.io <main@JabCamit.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rob Turk
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2021 8:52 AM
To: main@JabCamit.groups.io

The format is one Thunderbird .msf file for each year, is that usable for you? Total dataset is close to 2GB, too large for the files section.

wmax351@...

Google drive with links from the forum might be the way to go

Rob Turk

OK, I have added the 2010-2014 files first. That's 600+ MB. Please check if you can access them at all. If so I'll upload the rest. They are in the 'Pre-2015 archive' folder, and come in pairs. The file without extention is the actual data, the .msf file appears to be metadata. Hope your email systems can deal with it.

Boy, am I happy with that 500Mb/s upload link..

On 4/29/2021 5:16 PM, Jay Scheevel wrote:

Go ahead and give it a try Rob. We will see what happens. I am paying the tab, so I guess they will just tell me to pony up if it is too big.

Jay

Jay Scheevel

Looks like they loaded. Too bad I do not have Mozilla Thunderbird, but I will download that app if I want to have a look at the old files. Maybe you could put a text note in the directory, notifying people of how to download and use Thunderbird?

Jay

Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2021 9:46 AM

OK, I have added the 2010-2014 files first. That's 600+ MB. Please check if you can access them at all. If so I'll upload the rest. They are in the 'Pre-2015 archive' folder, and come in pairs. The file without extention is the actual data, the .msf file appears to be metadata. Hope your email systems can deal with it.

Boy, am I happy with that 500Mb/s upload link..

On 4/29/2021 5:16 PM, Jay Scheevel wrote:

Jay

wmax351@...

I can download them. I will check them out, and I think we should be able to upload them as well. 

Marc Bourget

Any possibility of converting them to "searchable pdf" files?

From: main@JabCamit.groups.io <main@JabCamit.groups.io> on behalf of wmax351@... <wmax351@...>
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2021 9:48 AM
To: main@JabCamit.groups.io <main@JabCamit.groups.io>

I can download them. I will check them out, and I think we should be able to upload them as well. 

Virus-free. www.avg.com

wmax351@...

Does the group have premium yearly? Supposedly they will upload it to the list for us if that is the case. 

Rob Turk

I just tested a bit. The files are from a Windows install. I copied them to Linux Mint with a fresh copy of Thunderbird. The Thunderbird installer creates a profile with some random name, and under that you find a Mail directory. After copying the files for 2019 and the oldest for 2004 to the Mail directory, they show up and are perfectly readable.

On 4/29/2021 6:39 PM, Jay Scheevel wrote:

Looks like they loaded. Too bad I do not have Mozilla Thunderbird, but I will download that app if I want to have a look at the old files. Maybe you could put a text note in the directory, notifying people of how to download and use Thunderbird?

Jay

Jay Scheevel

I wonder if Thuderbird has a pdf export. If so, then someone could export them and replace the raw Thuderbird files in the files section with pdf’s. This would be the most universal solution.

Jay

Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2021 11:23 AM

I just tested a bit. The files are from a Windows install. I copied them to Linux Mint with a fresh copy of Thunderbird. The Thunderbird installer creates a profile with some random name, and under that you find a Mail directory. After copying the files for 2019 and the oldest for 2004 to the Mail directory, they show up and are perfectly readable.

On 4/29/2021 6:39 PM, Jay Scheevel wrote:

Jay

Jay Scheevel

I have been paying the premium. Seemed easier that way.

Jay

From: main@JabCamit.groups.io <main@JabCamit.groups.io> On Behalf Of wmax351@...
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2021 11:09 AM

Does the group have premium yearly? Supposedly they will upload it to the list for us if that is the case. 

wmax351@...

Rob Turk

They do, but it's a per-message export. You'd end up with a mess of ~70.000 pdf files.
By the way, I just found out that in 2004-2005 I only have daily digests, not each mail separate. No big deal, but just for clarity.

Rob

On 4/29/2021 8:13 PM, Jay Scheevel wrote:

I wonder if Thuderbird has a pdf export. If so, then someone could export them and replace the raw Thuderbird files in the files section with pdf’s. This would be the most universal solution.

Jay

Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2021 11:23 AM

wmax351@...

They're all showing up for me. I also was able to merge all of them together into one file too. Can you put the rest of them up too? I will merge them all so we only have 1 file for all the way back.

Rob Turk

It's all there now.

On 4/30/2021 3:07 AM, wmax351@... wrote:
They're all showing up for me. I also was able to merge all of them together into one file too. Can you put the rest of them up too? I will merge them all so we only have 1 file for all the way back.