Oil leak(s)

Mark Dunstone

A friend got a spray of oil across his canopy a few years back....Revmaster engine.  He had a hell of time finding the leak....ended up being a minute crack in the boss the oil pressure sensor screwed into.  I also recently had an oil leak on a new Mitsubishi Pajero turbo diesel (‘92 with over 500km on tge clock).  Thought it was either the turbo or the vacuum pump. On checking with a bright light with engine running I could actually see a squirt, a bit like a small arterial bleeder in surgery if you’ve ever done or watched that sort of thing...but black oil not red blood). It was 3 Bar pressure.  Ended up being a swage fitting on the oil cooler lines.  It was reasonably tight but you could rotate the braided hose on the swage fitting...so maybe a loose clip on the rubber pipe fittings?

None of us need extra holes in our heads.  But the number already there are fixed....so it’s got to be one of them.  You might need to glue in that stainless tube your oil feed connects to, if the leak is from there.

jabcamit@...

1) clean off all oil
2) run for a shorter period - You want the minimum run time so the oil JUST starts to creep out without oozing/blowing  anywhere.
3) apply talc everywhere.

Removing heads/ cylinders etc is better avoided if possible. And it might still leak/develop another problem when you put it back together - talc is cheap and easy.

You  could also try  pumping oil under pressure into (say) the hole for the  oil pressure sensor. Then you can check in real time with the engine is stationary and no airblast to spread it everywhere. I used a common rail fuel pressure pump to pump oil when  doing some of my "on the bench" PRV testing

BobP

glen english LIST

last night, I replaced the rocker shaft O-rings in six heads- and I was unimpressed with the consistancy of the machined grooves. It was poor. It will not surprise me if I get a leak there when reasssembled.

I am sure putting an accurate groove down inside a narrow tube is hard, but not impossible.

I was equally unimpressed by the circlip groove in the pistons, again, inconsistant machining. They should have tightened up the manufactured product.

On 23/04/2021 12:18 am, jabcamit@panth.co.uk wrote:
1) clean off all oil
2) run for a shorter period - You want the minimum run time so the oil JUST starts to creep out without oozing/blowing  anywhere.
3) apply talc everywhere.

jabcamit@...

Could (should?) to O rings be "glued"£ into place to compensate for poor machining? If so what would be a suitable compound?

BobP

Mick O'Connor

No O ring oil leaks on my engine ?
Mick

On 23 Apr 2021, at 11:12, jabcamit@... wrote:

Could (should?) to O rings be "glued"£ into place to compensate for poor machining? If so what would be a suitable compound?

BobP

Mick O'Connor

Typo ! I meant I had a leaky fuel pump, never had a leaky oil pump.
Leaky fuel pump fixed as described
Mick

On 19 Apr 2021, at 15:56, Joe Stephens <joestephens4759@...> wrote:

Talc foot spray

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021, 10:23 AM <jabcamit@...> wrote:
A trick to find leaks is to clean the engine of all oil, allow to dry, run very  briefly then dust with (eg) talcum powder. The talc sticks to the oil. If it doesn't work at least your engine will not only sound but now also smell sweely.

BobP