Need inputs from those with Grand Rapids EIS monitor

John Miller

Can't seem to get through to GRT support for my 4000 model EIS unit so I thought I'd ask forum members who have this unit installed.

On my Gen 4 2200 cylinder #2 always reads about 60-70 F higher than the next highest which is under 1300 F like the rest. This sets off the alarm which I have set at 1350 F.

Out of desperation I bought a new EGT thermocouple even though it read OK when heated with the #4 thermocouple together with a heat gun. No help.

So I swapped the #2 and #4 thermocouples and still the #2 reading on the EIS is high even though it was now reading the #4 cylinder. I cleaned the connector contacts on the EIS unit and on the Sub D connector. No help.

All cold junctions are together behind the instrument panel. All contacts between the EGT leads and the EIS leads have been cleaned.

I am now thinking it could be the GRT EIS itself.

Have any of you GRT EIS uses had this issue?

John M

David Amsler

No such problem here, but surprised at your difficulty getting a response from them.  They have always been very quick and helpful when I contacted them, which I did on another matter about a month ago.  Check the "contact us" link on thier web page in case they have changed any email addresses.

David A.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 2:32 PM John Miller via groups.io <skypics234=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Randy

1 616 245- 7700 I believe

On Apr 27, 2021, at 1:39 PM, David Amsler <EnergyHawk@...> wrote:

[...]

FWIW:  I usually contact GRT by email,  They are a small outfit, and email avoids the need to have someone answering the phone at any given time.

David A.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 3:02 PM Randy via groups.io <Randyshanks736=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Unlike Jabiru, GRT actually got back to me and said that sometimes you need to re-crimp the connectors that go to the connectors on the end of the probe leads.

He said loose crimps on the end of the EIS harness are not uncommon.

Thanks for you consideration.

Buy the way Cindy at Jabiru has done what Nick couldn't seem to do and has sent me the new throw-over clutch.

John M

John M

Leo Dringoli

John ,

I have the same GRT unit .  #1 and #3 are always hotter than #2 and #4 EGT .  At an economy cruise power setting the readings are #1 1302 F  #2 1267  #3 1280  #4 1259 .  2550 RPM .  At 2950 RPM , same order but wider spread of temp.

         Leo