From: main@JabCamit.groups.io <main@JabCamit.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mick
O'Connor via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 4:07 AM
To: JabCamit <main@jabcamit.groups.io>
Subject: [JabCamit] Inlet pipe couplers

Anyone used fuel resistant silicone hose for the couplers ?
If not, is it just standard A1/A2 32mm fuel hose ?

Mick

Mick O'Connor

I’ve ordered a length 32mm ID silicone hose suitable for fuel & oil.
Mick

On 23 Feb 2021, at 15:45, Jay Scheevel <jay@scheevel.com> wrote:

I am also curious about this hose type. I will add to the request.

I am also wondering why Jabiru uses a brittle sealant to seal the base of
the inlet pipe where it fits into the manifold. It seems like this is an
invitation to a leak. Would it make more sense to seal with a silicone
sealant or similar, like Loctite 510.

Anyone used fuel resistant silicone hose for the couplers ?
If not, is it just standard A1/A2 32mm fuel hose ?

Mick

Mick O'Connor

If you go down the silicone hose route, make sure you use a hose that has a ‘flouro’ lining. Standard silicone hose is not fuel/oil resistant.

Ref your comment on a inlet pipe sealing, I’m not aware of any failure of this item, are you ? My inlet tubes were still 100% sealed when I dismantled them after 15 years and 850hrs
“If it ain’t broke........”

Mick

On 23 Feb 2021, at 15:45, Jay Scheevel <jay@scheevel.com> wrote:

I am also curious about this hose type. I will add to the request.

I am also wondering why Jabiru uses a brittle sealant to seal the base of
the inlet pipe where it fits into the manifold. It seems like this is an
invitation to a leak. Would it make more sense to seal with a silicone
sealant or similar, like Loctite 510.

Anyone used fuel resistant silicone hose for the couplers ?
If not, is it just standard A1/A2 32mm fuel hose ?

Mick

John Miller

Have not had an issue with the coupler hoses on the 4 2200s I've owned.

John M

Mick O'Connor

John,
Nor have I but -
During my top end overhaul I carefully inspected my connector pieces and all 4 had small cracks in the outer surface. Would be amiss of me not to change them !
Mick

On 24 Feb 2021, at 14:50, John Miller via groups.io <skypics234@...> wrote:

Have not had an issue with the coupler hoses on the 4 2200s I've owned.

John M

John Austin

It seems to be inevitable that the couplers develop superficial cracks with time and exposure.  I had to remove one with superficial cracking to pull a cylinder head and the cracking did indeed appear to be superficial - the remainder of the wall thickness appeared intact and supple.

I wonder if a wrap or two of self-fusing silicone tape ("Rescue Tape") around each coupler might be preventative of developing any cracks?  Of course, that might just be "fixing something that's not broke" ?

John
N750A

Marc Bourget

I think I would watch closely and monitor what develops.   The problem to avoid are cracks that penetrate to the interior.  Propagation is the issue and all will benefit from your report that the cracks progress.   Possibly important would be if the cracks propagate closer to heat.

By this suggestion, I'm focusing on whether the cracks propagate and NOT asking you to conduct an advanced risk assessment into how far the cracks go.

The simple fact of noticeable propagation is sufficient to require replacement.

FWIW

It seems to be inevitable that the couplers develop superficial cracks with time and exposure.  I had to remove one with superficial cracking to pull a cylinder head and the cracking did indeed appear to be superficial - the remainder of the wall thickness appeared intact and supple.

I wonder if a wrap or two of self-fusing silicone tape ("Rescue Tape") around each coupler might be preventative of developing any cracks?  Of course, that might just be "fixing something that's not broke" ?

John
N750A

Mick O'Connor

Marc,
These 2” lengths of 32mm fuel hose cost about £1 each, why would anyone not change them at overhaul ? No brainier !
To change at a later date involves removing the inlet manifolds, not a simple job with engine installed.

Mick