Topics

Blackstone Oil report at 60 hours on the New 2200 Gen 4

John Miller

The report looks good with two exceptions that are slightly over average.

Nickle was 8 and unit average is 2. I am trying to remember what the cylinder walls are coated with. I seem to remember Nicoseal which Blackstone says would account for the higher than normal nickle reading. If not that then it could be valve guide wear.

The other high reading is silicon. Mine reads 16 with the unit average at 8. Blackstone says look for intake leaks if none found could be harmless sealer or lube in the form of silicon.

LATER: Just found the info on the cylinders. "The cylinder barrels are electrolytically coated with silicon carbide (ceramic) in a nickle matrix." So this may account for the nickle and silicon readings.

John M

Jay Scheevel

Sounds like you are right on where your numbers are coming from (initial bedding in on the cylinder walls).  Silicon is an element Si in silt or sand (SiO2) so could be also from some dust getting through your filter.

Jay

The report looks good with two exceptions that are slightly over average.

Nickle was 8 and unit average is 2. I am trying to remember what the cylinder walls are coated with. I seem to remember Nicoseal which Blackstone says would account for the higher than normal nickle reading. If not that then it could be valve guide wear.

The other high reading is silicon. Mine reads 16 with the unit average at 8. Blackstone says look for intake leaks if none found could be harmless sealer or lube in the form of silicon.

LATER: Just found the info on the cylinders. "The cylinder barrels are electrolytically coated with silicon carbide (ceramic) in a nickle matrix." So this may account for the nickle and silicon readings.

John M

John Miller

Brand new K & N air filter so maybe its the silicon carbide on the cylinder walls.

John M

John Miller

I use Camguard in the oil. Wonder if it has added silicon?

John M

Jay Scheevel

I think the Camguard shows up as Phosphorous and Calcium (both of those are also present in the Aeroshell oil EP package). I do not think there is Silicon in either the Camguard or the Oil

Jay

I use Camguard in the oil. Wonder if it has added silicon?

John M

John Miller

Jay

I use Phillips x/c 25-60 oil.

John M

I think the Camguard shows up as Phosphorous and Calcium (both of those are also present in the Aeroshell oil EP package). I do not think there is Silicon in either the Camguard or the Oil

Jay

I use Camguard in the oil. Wonder if it has added silicon?

John M

Jay Scheevel

I think that the X/C has a similar EP package.

Jay

From: Jay Scheevel <jay@...>

Date: 4/4/21 9:30 AM (GMT-08:00)