Alternator part number for Gen 4 Jabiru 3300

Sonex 1517

Does anyone know a part number for a replacement alternator? I have a Gen 4 Jabiru 3300.

I am looking for a direct replacement only.

Sonex 1517

It appears my original post didn’t go through.

 My Gen 4 Jabiru 3300 appears to have a failed alternator. I pick up my RPM on my GRT via the alternator leads, and on a recent flight the RPM was erratic after takeoff, then dropped to zero. My battery is not charging.

I tried a different voltage regulator and the results are the same.

Does anyone know a part number for a direct replacement? Preferably not from Jabiru. I am not interested in replacing it with a belt driven alternator, just replacing the existing one.

thanks
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517

glen english LIST

there is no 'part' for the alternator.

the alternator is an assembly of orderable parts, from the overhaul manuals or parts books.

Do you have any facility to troubleshoot  the problem ?

AHH Gen4- you will have a circuit breaker inline  , mounted on the engine  rim.

Check it - they are UNDER rated in temperature- poor choice by jabiru in my opinion, totally unsuited to the job.

If you get a new one, move it to near the voltage regulator, away from the hot.

glen

On 2/05/2021 6:17 am, Sonex 1517 via groups.io wrote:

It appears my original post didn’t go through.

 My Gen 4 Jabiru 3300 appears to have a failed alternator. I pick up my RPM on my GRT via the alternator leads, and on a recent flight the RPM was erratic after takeoff, then dropped to zero. My battery is not charging.

I tried a different voltage regulator and the results are the same.

Does anyone know a part number for a direct replacement? Preferably not from Jabiru. I am not interested in replacing it with a belt driven alternator, just replacing the existing one.

thanks
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517

Mick O'Connor

Take it off and get it checked out., it could be something simple. They can be re-wound

Mick

On 1 May 2021, at 21:17, Sonex 1517 via groups.io <robbie_culver@...> wrote:

It appears my original post didn’t go through.

 My Gen 4 Jabiru 3300 appears to have a failed alternator. I pick up my RPM on my GRT via the alternator leads, and on a recent flight the RPM was erratic after takeoff, then dropped to zero. My battery is not charging.

I tried a different voltage regulator and the results are the same.

Does anyone know a part number for a direct replacement? Preferably not from Jabiru. I am not interested in replacing it with a belt driven alternator, just replacing the existing one.

thanks
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517

Mick O'Connor

Are we all talking about the same part ?
The stator plate with its windings is a single part. Easily removed from the spider and checked/tested/repaired
Mick

On 1 May 2021, at 21:29, glen english LIST <glenlist@cortexrf.com.au> wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I will remove it and see.

I did not see the external Circuit Breaker part. (I read John’s post about that)

I still want to find a replacement to keep on hand.

David Amsler

Before hitting the panic button, check those grossly undersized spade lug connectors on the alternator leads if you did not remove and replace them when installing the engine.

Got your first message, and it was weird.  Your question appeared in the snippet shown on Gmail's message list, but not in the message itself when that was opened.

David A.

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 4:17 PM Sonex 1517 via groups.io <robbie_culver=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

It appears my original post didn’t go through.

 My Gen 4 Jabiru 3300 appears to have a failed alternator. I pick up my RPM on my GRT via the alternator leads, and on a recent flight the RPM was erratic after takeoff, then dropped to zero. My battery is not charging.

I tried a different voltage regulator and the results are the same.

Does anyone know a part number for a direct replacement? Preferably not from Jabiru. I am not interested in replacing it with a belt driven alternator, just replacing the existing one.

thanks
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517

Sonex 1517

I removed that connector when I first installed it and installed aviation grade wires and connectors.

No panic here! I have way more patience now with my Sonex than I did 5 years ago when I was finishing it!

Mick O'Connor

The 1/4” ‘Lucar’ terminals used by Jabiru are rated at 15 amps. So, if you have a 10 amp alternator, there shouldn’t be a problem. I have a 10 amp alternator on my 2200 has original terminals on alternator and regulator. No problems after 900 hrs and 16 years !

Mick

On 1 May 2021, at 22:12, David Amsler <EnergyHawk@...> wrote:

[...]

alright, assuming the circuit breaker isnt there,

first

suggest measuring the stator winding with an ohm meter.
what value to you get ?

glen

On 5/2/2021 7:20 AM, Sonex 1517 via groups.io wrote:
I removed that connector when I first installed it and installed aviation grade wires and connectors.

Mick O'Connor

Ahh, just seen a problem with viewing posts from my iPhone, didn’t see the Gen4 in the title !
Mick

On 1 May 2021, at 22:58, glen english LIST <glenlist@cortexrf.com.au> wrote:

alright, assuming the circuit breaker isnt there,

first

suggest measuring the stator winding with an ohm meter.
what value to you get ?

glen

On 5/2/2021 7:20 AM, Sonex 1517 via groups.io wrote:
I removed that connector when I first installed it and installed aviation grade wires and connectors.

Sonex 1517

Edited

Thanks Glen

one side was open, the other side apx 1700 ohms give or take. This is why I thought it was bad, along with what I saw. (If you zoom in a bit on the attached the wires appear to be baked)

David Amsler

Baked,  more like totally fried.  Something shorted out.   Recall at least one post where the writer had rewound his own, That post included info on direction to wind each and how to connect them.  Might be an option.

Were you using a standard battery, of a lithium one ?  Mine would draw excessive current at first WOT if not allowed to recharge on ground.  One of the reasons I went back to the old one.

David A.

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 8:53 PM Sonex 1517 via groups.io <robbie_culver=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Thanks Glen

one side was open, the other side apx 1700 ohms give or take. This is why I thought it was bad, along with what I saw. (If you zoom in a bit on the attached the wires appear to be baked)

Jim Chuk

I rewound one on my early model Jab 2200.  Looks about the same as this one though.  I counted how many wraps there were to a coil, and did the same.  I think there were something like 37 wraps on each, and it was one continuous  length of wire from one coil to the next.  Each coil was wrapped in the opposite direction as the one before and after it.  I bought a roll of enameled wire off of ebay and it has been good for about 10 years.  The insulation on the metal posts for  the coils was burned off  so I painted them with several layers of fiberglas resin to insulate and take away the sharp corners.  Also sprayed the wire after it was in place with some sort of a paint that is used on the windings on electric motors.  A friend of mine had some so I used it.  Not sure it's needed though.  I think the reason I heard for the early coils burning up was the lousy connections Jabiru put on the ends of the wires.  I soldered mine to wires that went to the regulator, and nave had no problem since, as well as the $350 or so I saved by doing it myself.  JImChuk

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 8:23 PM David Amsler <EnergyHawk@...> wrote:
Baked,  more like totally fried.  Something shorted out.   Recall at least one post where the writer had rewound his own, That post included info on direction to wind each and how to connect them.  Might be an option.

Were you using a standard battery, of a lithium one ?  Mine would draw excessive current at first WOT if not allowed to recharge on ground.  One of the reasons I went back to the old one.

David A.

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 8:53 PM Sonex 1517 via groups.io <robbie_culver=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Thanks Glen

one side was open, the other side apx 1700 ohms give or take. This is why I thought it was bad, along with what I saw. (If you zoom in a bit on the attached the wires appear to be baked)

Ron Milan

Robbie:   A SONEX with a 3300 JABIRU or 3300 CAMIT is a strong running little bird, a venerable combination.  I flew mine today and I appreciate having the extra power of the 3300,   I have flown the 2200 version and the extra power of the 3300 makes for a nice power plant in that air frame.  Good luck with the alternator repair, the issue should e rather straight forward to troubleshoot.

Ron M

I removed that connector when I first installed it and installed aviation grade wires and connectors.

No panic here! I have way more patience now with my Sonex than I did 5 years ago when I was finishing it!

glen english LIST

good advice from Jim Chuk IMO.

You can easily rebuild. Just buy magnet wire with suitable temp rating. Use proper ENAMELLED wire , not the type where the insulation gets hot and disappears (several types, normally for hobbyists winding radio coils) .

No circuity breaker ???!!!! Jabiru. shame.

could be
-failed regulator (short circuit)
-wiring
-sustained excessive load.
-internal short to ground, crap regulator permmiting battery current to reverse flow and destory stator.

On 5/2/2021 12:33 PM, Jim Chuk wrote:
I rewound one on my early model Jab 2200.  Looks about the same as this one though.  I counted how many wraps there were to a coil, and did the same.  I think there were something like 37 wraps on each, and it was one continuous  length of wire from on

Mick O'Connor

They are well cooked, the heat may have damaged the laminations beyond repair, so a re-wind impossible.
Mick

On 2 May 2021, at 01:15, Sonex 1517 via groups.io <robbie_culver@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Thanks Glen

one side was open, the other side apx 1700 ohms give or take. This is why I thought it was bad, along with what I saw. (If you zoom in a bit on the attached the wires appear to be baked)
<DF37F599-45BC-4B12-87B2-B533F0F8FADD.jpeg>

Mark Dunstone

If you don’t want to go to a circuit breaker you should at the very minimum install a 20 or 25 Amp blade fuse in one of the AC wires from the alternator to the voltage regulator. Not only does it save damaging the stator windings of the alternator if you get over-current conditions, but you also avoid the risk of fire....which is substantial given a short in the stator windings can result in molten copper dripping onto the carburettor.  Also you need to be aware that flying with the stator windings fried,also risks a further short across burned insulation on the windings, and more frying/burning, despite the fact the circuit is open.

Its not just lithium batteries.  I had a similar in flight meltdown (with molten copper dripping on the carb & that blue smoke that makes all things electronic work fill the cockpit) with a lead-acid battery.  In my setup, I now have a 20A fuse in the AC circuit and also a voltage regulator that ‘throttles’ the current to a maximum of 8 Amps, ie. a belt and braces.

Sonex 1517

Thanks for the replies. Good advice on the circuit protection.

I use an Odyssey battery. Since no one has posted a Kubota part number, I assume it’s a Jabiru part only and will call Arion tomorrow. I think I found the correct part number in one of their manuals.

Sonex 1517

I came up with a Jabiru part number 4P016A1D-1