Re: Safety for Jab alternator

Mark Dunstone

Marc, yes.  I bought and installed a ‘Powermate’ voltage regulator.  It limits alternator charge current to 8Amps so it may not be suitable for some folks with high electrical power needs.  I find at take-off and then for about 10 minutes charging is pegged at the maximum 8A and voltage around 13.7, and then the DC voltage stabilises at 14 to 14.2V. I run a lithium battery.  In terms of electrical needs I run an MGL Extreme EFIS/EMS, a vhf radio, a class C ssr transponder (with an RS232 to Gilliam code converter), a SkyEcho ADSB, a MGL Blaze ASI/VSI, an electronic G-meter, an LED strobe (wing tips and tail), and a couple of fuel pumps (boost and wing tank transfer).  The 8A charge current seems more than adequate.
I agree the lithium batteries are more likely to accept excessive current than lead acid, but that does not mean lead acid batteries will not also accept excessive current....it’s just that it’s not as common.  My in-flight meltdown of the alternator was with a lead acid battery.

Glen, I’ll think you will find that lithium iron phosphate batteries belong in the class of ‘lithium ion’ batteries....but not all lithium ion batteries are lithium iron phosphate.  My understanding is that the major fire risk are those lithium batteries where you can get lithium metal dendrites growing on the electrodes,,,and these can cause shorts. This isn’t a high risk for lithium iron phosphate.