Re: Safety for Jab alternator

Marc Halcomb

Mark,
Over voltage is bad for the down stream items: EFIS, EIS, Comm/Nav radios, ... etc. and over current is bad for the up stream items, in this case the Jabiru stator.  I install the vertical power box in my build which has over voltage protection built in, and easy to configure and use.  But for over current I installed inline fuses for each stator lead.  I wish I would have run them to a resettable circuit breaker, but live and learn. :)

with my new EarthX battery, I find if I do not allow the battery time to mostly charger before WOT takeoff run, I will get an over current alarm, have not blown the fuses yet, but makes the EarthX battery a bit dodgy.