Re: Valve springs

Laurie Armstrong

I doubt it will have a detrimental effect.

, Laurie

On 20 Feb 2021, at 7:00 am, Mick O'Connor via groups.io <mickoconnor909=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Laurie,
I guess it will take a longer than 30 hrs to have detrimental effect ?
Got to assume that lots of solid lifter Jabs have had double springs installed.
Still strange that my tests showed strengths to be same

Mick

On 19 Feb 2021, at 18:47, Laurie Armstrong via groups.io <laurie.armstrong88=yahoo.com.au@groups.io> wrote:

I fitted the double valve springs about 30 hours ago to my solid lifter Jabiru and had heard the same ‘advice’ which caused some worries. It has been running beautifully though.

Thanks, Laurie

On 20 Feb 2021, at 4:50 am, Mick O'Connor via groups.io <mickoconnor909=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
I got new ‘double’ valve springs from Jab with my head overhaul kits.
I’ve been advised not to use them on a solid lifter as they may accelerate can love wear. Manual says ‘you must’ renew valve springs at top end o/h. Out of curiosity I made up a jig to measure the spring strength.
Double springs measured 6kg, old single spring same at 6kg, big spring from double set on its own 5kg and the small inner spring 1kg.
Consider that !